If you haven’t noticed, I’m a big fan of RSS. So I think it’s pretty cool that library systems are starting to offer RSS notification of items checked-out, overdue, and on-hold. Wouldn’t it be nice to get a reminder before the book you checked out is overdue?
A couple of library systems in Wisconsin (Eastern Shores Library System in Sheboygan & LaCrosse Public Library) are already using a service called ELF which helps you manage your library loans and holds. With this free service, you can receive:
- Email and/or RSS alerts before items are due
- Email and/or RSS alerts on overdues and holds
- Consolidated list of yours or your family’s library loans and holds
- Cellphone text message alerts for holds
- Real-time checking by browser
It seems that Innovative Interfaces, a very popular library automation, will also be integrating RSS delivery into their 2006 release.
Source: del.icio.us & LibrarianInBlack