The Wisconsin Legislative Reference Bureau has created an outstanding guide to Researching Legislative History In Wisconsin. Complete with illustrations, it offers step-by-step guidance on researching Wisconsin legislation. The steps include:
- Determine what session law created the language being researched;
- Examine the bill, its analysis, its amendments, and other associated documents;
- Review the drafting record for the bill;
- Check the procedural history of the bill;
- Locate and review any additional material; and
- Observe certain special steps in researching language originating in budget bills.
This guide is a must-read for anyone conducting legislative history in Wisconsin.