Who knew that you could borrow seeds from the Madison Public Library? A lot of people, apparently. So far this year, the Madison Public Library’s Seed Library has given away nearly 2,000 seed packets, including flowers, herbs, and produce seeds.
Here’s a sampling of the seeds available at participating Madison libraries (Lakeview Library or Goodman South Madison Library):
- Bush Green Beans
- Flowers: Cosmos, Marigolds, Nasturtiums, Pansies, Sunflowers, Zinnias
- Herbs: Basil, Chives, Cilantro, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Sage
- Kale (lacinato)
- Melon: Cantaloupe, Watermelon
- Pie Pumpkin
- Squash: Butternut, Zucchini
- Sugarsnap Peas
- Peppers: Sweet bell type, Hot
- Tomatoes: Cherry type, Slicer type
Borrowing seeds from Madison Public Library is free. Just call ahead 608-266-6300 to let them know what seeds you would like and they’ll get them ready for pick-up at your library location. Then grow your plants and enjoy the harvest. If you’re able, collect and return some seeds although there is no penalty for not returning seeds.